Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

This is what slower feels like

It's a time of involuntary rest here at S.R.S.

There was no running of the Great Pumpkin Challenge Saturday, and I won't be participating in the Hairy Gorilla Half Marathon/Squirrelly 6-miler next weekend either.

Somehow, between running a great, hard race last Sunday morning over the cross country trails and going out for a recovery run Monday evening, my left knee has become injured. I think it's a joint problem. The knee cap aches if I put even slightly more weight then regular walking on it -- say, if I'm walking down stairs or moving quickly to get in or out of the car.

Running is nearly impossible. Both times I went out this last week, I walked outside into the cold filled with energy and excitement.  As I start to warm up my legs, my lungs decide they want to go along for the ride too. I am smiling into the air, so grateful and joyed to own this one simple thing, the ability to move myself forward into space. "This is going to be a great run. I can feel it," I think.

I hardly go 3/4 of a mile on an 11-minute pace before the knee pain flares up. When I try to push through it, I begin to feel nauseous, so I walk and then start jogging again. The mysterious pain returns like a nag, getting worse with every step.

There are some frustrating moments when the pain, combined with fears of not being able to race or even get myself home from this brief outing bring me to tears in the middle of the street. Passing motorists see me clutching my knee and cursing out all that is weak within me, right there at the intersection. I give up and gingerly slog the rest of the way home, or call for a ride. I feel such loss. The other day I ran an 8-minute mile with a pack of all sorts of beautiful people in the brilliant sunlight.  Now I am limping alone through the dark.

What seems like a host of other life happenings, in addition to this ill-timed injury, converged toward the end of this week and threw me into an emotional tailspin. Here's hoping that some rest and QT with family this week will help me get back on track.

6 comments:

  1. Mareesa,

    It will be ok. Go to see a Sports Med. doctor, and maybe you can go into PT. You'll be able to run again! Promise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're being smart to just get some rest! Ice it, elevate it and if it's not feeling better in a few day, go see your doctor! Better to find out exactly what's wrong than to wait! It will get better!

    That you can still walk on it is a good sign! You've probably just strained it. You'll be back up and running again in no time! In the meanwhile, live precariously through the rest of us out there!

    Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey there, Runner. I ended up here by following a link by Rosey Rebecca on twitter. I am bummed to hear of your injury:-( I was forced into taking a month off when I was diagnosed with stage 3 bread cancer in Sept 2008 at the age of 30. As much as I was sick over my diagnosis, I was just as sick that I couldn't run until I was healed. It killed me not to run, especially when I needed it most. But, as I healed and some time passed, I got back into running and enjoyed it even more after my hiatus because I appreciated it so much more. I started running again, slowly at first then proceeded to run throughout a year of chemotherapy and radiation. Last weekend I ran my first I'll marathon and it was so sweet when I crossed the finish line. So hang in there, and I'm praying that your injury is minor and quick to heal and that you are out pounding the pavement again very very soon! Until then, just stop and appreciate your body for the awesome runner you are!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sorry you are hurting. Can you see a Physical Therapist? Perhaps some rest or strengthening of the muscles could help you make a Turkey Trot.

    Either way I hope you can get better to what you love soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for all the kind words and advice.
    I'm hoping to go to a doctor soon. I've been resting and my knee hasn't hurt in a few days, fortunately, but I've yet to go running and test it out. Maybe it needs some more time off. It's been 9 days. What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you back on the road? I didn't even see this update until just now, so I'm way late. But I hope you're up and running again.

    ReplyDelete